Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Food for Thought: Zoo, Museum, or Library?

Tom and I occasionally (very, very seldom actually) work at a little ice cream shop called Scoops. We're friends with the owners/managers, so we come help out when we're needed. Tonight was one of those nights where we were needed. While waiting for hungry students to come satisfy their sweet teeth  (that doesn't sound nearly as good plural...), I came across my darling friend's blog who, in one of her posts, asked this question:

If you were forced to live at a zoo, museum, or a library for the rest of your life, where would you live and why?

As we were sitting, I leaned over and asked Tom what he thought.
"Alone or with other people?" he asked.
"Alone."
"At the zoo."
"Okay, and with your family?"
"Also the zoo."
I'm not sure the reason for his first question...

I would probably agree with my dear husband. I was trying to decide between the zoo and a library. Museum was pretty much out at the first for me.

We continued to discuss the possibilities.

"What on earth would you do with a 5 year old at a library?" Tom asked. "Read him books for 7 hours?"
"Sure. And they usually have fish tanks at libraries... we could watch the fishes."

"You could at least make friends with the animals at the zoo," Tom pointed out. "Humans need interaction."
"Well, people can still come to the zoo you know."
"Well, then those people can bring you a book when they come."

"And that's another thing... what would you do for food at the library? At least at the zoo you could raise the animals and slaughter them."
After a slightly distateful look from me, he revised his answer. "Or eat at the shops if it's a nice zoo."

Conclusion, we would live at the zoo. We would ride the camels, feed the giraffes, swim with the penguins, and pet the lions (only after we earned their trust of course). We would eat lots cotton candy and Dippin' Dots, but never get fat because we would walk around all day long. And we would live happily ever after.

But if you come to visit, please bring some good books.

What about you? Zoo, museum, or library? And why?

"But there is no good answer except the zoo..." said Tom.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely library for me. There is not enough time in eternity to read all the books I want to read. I wouldn't even need food. Wow, the thought alone is heavenly.

    ReplyDelete