Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The "Snake House"

Just over a month... not too terrible, eh?

When we moved to Rexburg, one of the first things Tom wanted to do was to find the famous "Snake House." If you aren't familiar with the story, head over to youtube and type in snake house rexburg idaho. You'll find at least 3 enlightening videos.

Here, I'll help you out. Click here. And here, for poor family #2.

Needless to say, at the mention of snakes, I wasn't super thrilled with the idea. Snakes are gross. But I was curious what the house looked like, where it was, and the like. It was an interesting story.

We've been in Rexburg for about 6 1/2 months now, and we have finally been out to see the "Snake House!" It wasn't that I refused to go for that amount of time, we just kind of forgot about it for a while. Last week Tom randomly remembered it and set out to find the address via the Internet. Find it, he did, and we went on a little drive...

I was surprised just how far out of town it was. Well, it was more like driving from South Pocatello out to Wal-Mart distance-wise for those of you back home, but for Rexburg, that's a ways out there! It was a beautiful fall drive, and I really enjoyed it. I was also surprised to see what a cute home it was! I thought to myself, "Man, I would absolutely live here if it weren't for the snakes!"

The home was a little in disrepair though. There were sheets of thick black plastic outlining the whole house, 2 layers deep. We assume it was to keep the pests out. There were also some home-made snake traps sitting out on the lawn. We drove up the driveway a little to get a bit closer to home for a better view. A very old RV was parked in the back. We didn't think too much of it. We drove around to the front of the house - the driveway looped in front - to get a better look at the snake traps and the black plastic walls. We were curious. I spotted some doggy toys out on the side lawn and thought, "They sure left in a hurry. Why not pick up the dog toys?" We got out of the car, I with my phone to snap a few pictures in case we saw any snakes. As we got closer to the house, we both heard a noise that startled us. Tom and I looked up into the front window to see a little pooch barking up a storm at us, the intruders! Someone lived there?!?! We looked at each other and without a word, RAN to our car, JUMPED inside, and Tom SPED off down the road. We didn't even look back!

Who knew someone still lived there? Last I heard was that the last owners declared bankruptcy and left the home, which was now Bank owned. I guess that doesn't mean that someone can't live there... Who would have thought though?? Who would want to live there?? Not me. Not until ALL the snakes were gone, with a promise NEVER to come back. Only then would I live there, even if it is a cute house.

So, word to the wise. If you're in Rexburg to visit the "Snake House," someone lives there. So a quick drive by will have to do. Learn from our mistakes.

We sure giggled on the way home though.

No comments:

Post a Comment